top of page
  • louise davis

How to Change Your Name After Divorce

Some recently divorced people choose to keep their married name to maintain a named connection with their children or for other practical reasons such as professional reasons. However, the symbolic choice of letting go of their ex-partners name is an option chosen by many who wish to do so as a means to look to a new beginning or to reclaim the person they were prior to marriage.

How to Change your Name after Divorce

Whilst you can legally adopt a new name and begin using it at any time, in order for your name change to be recognised by the DVLA, HMRC, Banks, Building Societies and other official organisations you would need to complete a deed poll name change or be able to provide the following documents in their original form:

  • Your Final Order (or Final Decree)

  • Your Original Marriage Certificate

  • Your Original Birth Certificate

You Don't Have the required Original Documents?

If you do not have the documents listed above then you can obtain replacements although this may carry a cost.

  • You can order a replacement copy of your Final Order or Decree by contacting the Court Office at the Court that issued your Final Order/ Decree. Find details for the Court that issued you Final Order or Decree here.

  • You can apply for replacement birth and marriage certificates from the General Registers Office. If you need to order a replacement birth or marriage certificate then you can arrange this online with the General Registers Office here.

Some tips for Changing your Name after Divorce

Each organisation that you contact when changing your name will have different requirements in regard to the documents they need you to provide.

  • Try to change your name on a form of Photo ID (Passport or Driving Licence) first as this will be helpful when changing your name with other organisations who may ask for a form of Photo ID in your new name as part of their processes.

  • Set up and keep a folder of photocopies of documents, including Photo ID, in your old name in case these are needed during the name change process.

  • Make a list of each organisation you need to contact along with the documents they require from you.

  • Keep a note of when you contacted each organisation, or if possible set aside one day in which you will do all of your name change admin.

  • If sending documents by post then send them via a tracked delivery method such as Special Delivery. Whilst this costs more it does provide peace of mind as to where your documents are and you have options if anything goes astray.

Who to Tell About your Name Change

After you have changed your name you should update your name on all official records and also notify all organisations that hold your personal data. The following is a list is not exhaustive but gives you an idea:

  • HMRC

  • DVLA

  • Banks and Building Societies

  • Mortgage Lender/ Landlord

  • Electoral Register

  • Passport Office

  • Insurance Companies

  • Pension Providers

  • Credit Providers (Credit Cards/ Loans)

  • Employer

  • Local Council

  • Doctor

  • Dentist

  • Gas/ Electricity Providers

Changing your name after divorce is a way for many to move forward to new horizons. The above guide should be of use to anyone with questions about changing their name after divorce but if you have any queries about your post divorce name change then email us at with your question and one of the team will come straight back to you.

If you are yet to start the divorce process and want some guidance from a friendly expert then book free consultation here.

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page